Towing beat up cars and trucks is our job, but we prefer if accidents and breakdowns were avoided. So, here are some helpful road safety tips, and important reminders to keep in mind in a roadside emergency.
1.Plan your journey
If you are going to drive on a long trip, it is important to plan your route, the time you will leave and the rest stops you will take along the way. Planning involves making sure you are prepared physically and that you allocate sufficient time for rest intervals. Most accidents happen at night. Ensure you have had sufficient rest before driving all night, and learn the signs of fatigue:
- Heavy head
- Tingling eyes
- Repeated yawning
- Frequent position changes
- Difficulties in keeping a steady trajectory
Have a power nap. A 15-minute power nap can save your life.
2. Physical check
Listen to your body when you drive. Are you feeling achy? Are your muscles tight? Drivers often suffer from sore arms, back, shoulders and legs. If you are starting to ache, stop walk around for five minutes, taking deep breaths, stretching the arms and legs. Movement breaks increase blood flow and alertness.
3. Adapt your way of driving
When people do not adapt their driving toward road conditions, accident risk increases. Be conscientious of weather. Rain, fog, snow and ice can cause hazards on the road. In poor visibility:
- Slow down
- Increase the distance from the vehicle in front
- Switch on your dipped-beam headlights
If you have to pull over for tire change or your vehicle has broken down:
- Turn your hazard lights on.
- Make sure the area is safe when pulling over and ensure you are right inside your lane – avoid stopping on a bend, or blind spot.
- Put safety triangles 100 meters behind your vehicle, and stay in your car until the tow truck arrives.
- If you have children, make sure they remain in the vehicle also.
A fence at the top of a cliff is better than a hospital at the bottom
Keep your vehicle maintained with regular services, so the likeliness of breaking down is limited.
If you need car towing or truck towing in the Sydney, Liverpool and Campelltown areas we are here to help.